Join us for a BBQ Chicken Cook-Off. (Tofu and other chicken impostors welcome.)
The cooks are in it to win it! Attendees taste and judge the entrees. The chef with the most votes is the winner.
More food: Sides, desserts, and full meals for purchase.
50/50 raffle: Buy a ticket. If you win, you get half the money. Last time, the winner received over $350! (Must be present at 8 pm to win.)
No-host bar: Wine, beer, and non-alcoholic options.
Fun: Well, isn’t that the whole point? What could make for a better Saturday afternoon than a BBQ contest?
• $100 for sponsors (10 tasting tickets included)
• $30 for general admission if bought before May 13 (4 tasting tickets included)
• $40 for general admission at the door (4 tasting tickets included)
Your invitation: If you didn’t get an invitation by mail, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or pick one up at church.
Enter for free: See the rules below and sign up by emailing email@example.com. More information below.
BBQ Chicken Cook-Off Rules for Competitors
• Date of event: May 19, 2018, 5–8 pm. Set up at 4 pm
• Thank you for lending your talents to this year’s major fundraising effort and party. This competition is open to anyone willing to share their grilling/BBQing expertise with us. This is going to be festive and fun and with your help we hope a very successful event.
General rules of entry:
• You must declare your dish no later than May 6 to prevent duplicates. First to declare their menu item has “dibs” on it.
• Any type of chicken preparation is allowed. All dishes must feature chicken or chicken impostor.
• Please provide a list of all ingredients used. We want to be sure that those with allergies are protected.
• Food may be prepared onsite (although the church stove and kitchen are not available) or offsite, but must be ready to serve hungry attendees and tasters by 5 pm. To the best of your abilities, you must follow all recommended food safety preparation and handling guidelines. USDA Food Safety Guidelines
• The Grill Master will be responsible for all food preparation needs and will purchase any ingredients necessary for the preparation of their entry. You will receive general entry admission to the event.
• The Grill Master will bring their own BBQ grill, smoker, or other cooking device. Electric grills are allowed, however, electricity is limited so please let us know in advance if you plan to use it.
• Please note: You will be notified by May 13 about the number of people expected to attend the cook-off to prepare the appropriate amount of your entry.
Serving and tasting sizes and procedures:
• Grill Masters or designee will exchange tasting tickets for one tasting (a spoonful, forkful, or equivalent) of your entry.
• Event attendees will have the option to buy a full serving for 5 tickets. A “serving” will be equivalent to one cup of your entry.
• Sides and deserts will be sold/served separately.
• The competition will be decided by attendee votes. Each attendee will receive tasting tickets and a voting chip to make their vote.
• Winner will be awarded the “MJMCC MASTER GRILLER” trophy. It will be held by the winner until the next event, when the winner can compete again to keep the trophy. The winner will also receive an apron, bragging rights, and a special treat.